Hi Everyone,
I finally got my timing right to be in a town with an open library so will quickly post an update. I'm finding the days pretty full and obviously haven't done a great job of making any posts!
The first few days were pretty brutal with very hot temperatures and long climbs. It certainly took a few days to get my legs under me and find the rhythm of riding, resting, eating, and drinking.
I had a great day in Denali National Park (I had clear views of Mt. McKinley for 4 days!) Saw heaps of moose, caribou and sheep, but not bears yet. I ride early in the morning and late in the evening and am seeing many moose each day, often passing with 10 metres as they feed along the edge of the road.
There are fires everywhere. I managed to ride through the worst one near Willow after they got it under control and rode an extra 30 miles (until 11 p.m.) a couple nights later to get clear of another. Unfortunately this means the sky is hazy and it is difficult to see more than 1 a mile or two in most directions. I know I'm riding through some amazing scenery and not seeing much of it.
I typically just pull off the side of the road when I get tired and have a sleep. The bugs are fine on the road but once we step into the forest it is full on. I'm getting pretty quick at getting the tarp and bug net set up!
I had a rest day in Fairbanks and two days later am now in Tok. From here I turn north again towards Chicken and Dawson City. This will be the first big bit of remote unpaved road. Water sources are few and far between so I'll be loading up before I leave the main road. Hopefully I'll get to another update from Dawson City.
Bruce
I had a great day in Denali National Park (I had clear views of Mt. McKinley for 4 days!) Saw heaps of moose, caribou and sheep, but not bears yet. I ride early in the morning and late in the evening and am seeing many moose each day, often passing with 10 metres as they feed along the edge of the road.
There are fires everywhere. I managed to ride through the worst one near Willow after they got it under control and rode an extra 30 miles (until 11 p.m.) a couple nights later to get clear of another. Unfortunately this means the sky is hazy and it is difficult to see more than 1 a mile or two in most directions. I know I'm riding through some amazing scenery and not seeing much of it.
I typically just pull off the side of the road when I get tired and have a sleep. The bugs are fine on the road but once we step into the forest it is full on. I'm getting pretty quick at getting the tarp and bug net set up!
I had a rest day in Fairbanks and two days later am now in Tok. From here I turn north again towards Chicken and Dawson City. This will be the first big bit of remote unpaved road. Water sources are few and far between so I'll be loading up before I leave the main road. Hopefully I'll get to another update from Dawson City.
Bruce
Hi Bruce
ReplyDeleteLooks amazing! Thanks for the pictures and update-
Hope the air is clear and you find water where you need it most :)
Thinking of you and pedaling along in spirit-
Love, Susan Mike and Chloe
Hi Bruce,
ReplyDeleteWhat a grand adventure you are on! Thank you for posting. My mom, sister and brother-in-law are just finishing their Alaska trip. They were in Tok on June 17. Their trip though is of the bus, train, cruise ship variety. Rosemary has also been keeping us informed of your journey through e-mails. I am having dinner with Gene and Coral tonight and I will update them. Travel safe and enjoy the ride.
Greg