Dawson to Whitehorse - 4 days

Hi,
I left Dawson fully loaded with food and headed down the Klondike Highway, closely following the Klondike River.  After half a day, I climbed out of the valley along flat creek and joined the Stewart River.
There was an interesting change in geology as I pass through the zone where ice sheets ended during the last ice age, leaving the Bering land bridge exposed and passable.  




The valleys are long and wide, surrounded by rounded mountains.  The route I followed is a major migratory path for waterfowl heading north and the frequent small lakes were full of young broods.


I stayed at Moose Creek Campground - no moose while I was there.  I stopped counting moose at 50 and have seen many since.  I usually see them early in the morning or late evening feeding along the roadside.  Even though they are standing in the ditch we tend to be seeing each other nose to nose (usually from about 10m) so I just keep on pedaling and haven't got a picture yet.

The next day I passed through one of several river crossings and small towns that took me back to the Yukon River in Whitehorse.  I stopped and cooked dinner at Pelly Crossing and then pedaled another 30 km into the evening, ending up camped at a small gravel pit just of the highway.  It had a great view of the surround valley which was ringed with small rounded peaks.  I've heard wolves most nights I've rough camped, but they were particularly vocal that night, waking me up 7 or 8 times.  I think it was a single pack that did a large semicircle around the valley - hard to say how close they were.






The next day took me to Carmacks where I stopped for a burger and had a nice chat with some of the locals.  Just after I passed over the bridge there, someone hit a power pole and landed a live wire across the road.  For the next three hours I had no traffic coming from behind me!
Locals stopped me three times to let me know they'd seed grizzly just up the road.  They seemed genuine and to be looking out for me, which I appreciated, and fortunately I didn't see any on the road.  I did see a couple black bears on the hillsides the next morning.  I stayed at Twin Lakes campground and listened to the loons calling as I drifted off to sleep after a meal at the shelter.



The next day took me into Whitehorse.  Despite the progress I made (~130 km a day) these last three days were pretty hard going.  I had a hard headwind (similar to a mid- to rough southerly out of Nelson) since the afternoon after I left Dawson and it really did my head in.  I estimate I had to pedal down 80% of the downhills during these days just to keep my speed up, so you can imagine how frustrating it was!   Thankfully I got a little break as I passed through the big lake country north of Whitehorse, but it came back to make the last 30 km a real challenge.





I set myself up in the campground for a couple days.  I took my back to get the rear wheel checked and unfortuabely they found a few stress factors around a couple spokes, so I am having them build a new wheel around my hub tomorrow.  The next bike shop is at least 10 days ride away!

Comments