Hi all,
This will be quick and short. I've arrived in Dease Lake which is the only real town along the 720 km Cassier-Stewart highway. I left Whitehorse about 5 p.m. on Friday night assuming the weather was clearing, but ended up riding 40 km in the rain to the nearest campground. It was full up, but a nice family let me camp behind their site. I pushed hard for a couple days (~160 km / day) to reach the Cassier-Stewart Highway junction. The riding was relatively easy with mostly nicely graded climbs and subtle elevation change.
There were only a couple small lodges along the way, so I reached Dease Lake this morning with hardly any food left. The next leg is about 600 km with no towns, so I'll need to buy my food carefully at the general store here in Dease Lake.
I saw heaps (~10!) of other cyclists on the Alaska Highway between Whitehorse and here. It is one of the few places there is only one route to choose, so it brings everyone onto the same road for a few hundred kilometres. It is a good way to get up-to-date information on the road ahead, and where supplies might be found.
I continue to see a few bears each day, only black bears. I saw a red fox a few days ago and a large cat disappearing into the bush one evening. I couldn't see the head, but got a good look at the tail. A quick search suggests it was a lynx based on the short black-tipped tail, but I can't be sure.
I was able to spend an afternoon and evening kayaking at Boya Lake (a bonus from putting in some hard days). It was a pretty spectular spot and I enjoyed kayaking around the very active beaver families. I stopped last night at Sawmill Point rec site which was very basic. The wind came up from the south and I didn't want to ride into it and as a wonderful bonus I had 4 hours of bug free bliss!
I'll have a bit of a rest today, although I'm looking at the forecasts and considering options while I do my laundry. It looks like I'll be needing to ride in the rain over the next week to reach the ferry in time. Tomorrow is the big climbing day of the trip, heading over Gnat pass, down to the Stikine River, and the back up the other side.
This will be quick and short. I've arrived in Dease Lake which is the only real town along the 720 km Cassier-Stewart highway. I left Whitehorse about 5 p.m. on Friday night assuming the weather was clearing, but ended up riding 40 km in the rain to the nearest campground. It was full up, but a nice family let me camp behind their site. I pushed hard for a couple days (~160 km / day) to reach the Cassier-Stewart Highway junction. The riding was relatively easy with mostly nicely graded climbs and subtle elevation change.
There were only a couple small lodges along the way, so I reached Dease Lake this morning with hardly any food left. The next leg is about 600 km with no towns, so I'll need to buy my food carefully at the general store here in Dease Lake.
I saw heaps (~10!) of other cyclists on the Alaska Highway between Whitehorse and here. It is one of the few places there is only one route to choose, so it brings everyone onto the same road for a few hundred kilometres. It is a good way to get up-to-date information on the road ahead, and where supplies might be found.
I continue to see a few bears each day, only black bears. I saw a red fox a few days ago and a large cat disappearing into the bush one evening. I couldn't see the head, but got a good look at the tail. A quick search suggests it was a lynx based on the short black-tipped tail, but I can't be sure.
I was able to spend an afternoon and evening kayaking at Boya Lake (a bonus from putting in some hard days). It was a pretty spectular spot and I enjoyed kayaking around the very active beaver families. I stopped last night at Sawmill Point rec site which was very basic. The wind came up from the south and I didn't want to ride into it and as a wonderful bonus I had 4 hours of bug free bliss!
I'll have a bit of a rest today, although I'm looking at the forecasts and considering options while I do my laundry. It looks like I'll be needing to ride in the rain over the next week to reach the ferry in time. Tomorrow is the big climbing day of the trip, heading over Gnat pass, down to the Stikine River, and the back up the other side.
Hi Bruce,
ReplyDeleteI had a bicycle accident on the 4th and landed on my left hip. I suffered a fracture of the femur at the neck of the bone. The next day I had partial hip replacement surgery. I was released from the hospital on Tuesday and am recuperating in Omaha at my Mom's home. Rosemary said I am to vicariously continue riding through you on your trip. Enjoy your ride and keep blogging.
Greg
That's awful Greg, I hope the recovery goes well. The important question - how did the bike fair?
DeleteBeautiful pictures Bruce. You are seeing some awesome scenery. You look good. Dad and I had to laugh that on your relaxing time you go kayaking. Have a safe trip the rest of the way. Thanks for the phone call, too. Stay safe.
ReplyDeleteLove from Dad & Mom